I upgraded Zend Core for Oracle on our soon-to-be production webserver at work tonight so it was running the latest build of PHP 5.2, and while I was at it I decided to make sure all its other packages were current.

It was quite sad, but the kernel was over a year out of date, so I had to kill our glorious 385 day uptime to restart the machine. While I was checking the latest version installed, I found this:

[root@web ~]# rpm -qa | grep kernel- kernel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-2.6.9-42.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL kernel-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL kernel-utils-2.4-13.1.105 kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-2.6.9-55.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-67.EL kernel-2.6.9-67.EL kernel-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-42.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-42.0.8.EL kernel-2.6.9-55.0.2.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL kernel-hugemem-devel-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-55.EL kernel-smp-2.6.9-55.0.6.EL kernel-2.6.9-55.0.9.EL kernel-doc-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel-smp-devel-2.6.9-67.0.1.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-67.EL kernel-devel-2.6.9-42.EL [root@web ~]#

I could be wrong, but I think that may be a bit excessive… By my count, that’s 9 individual kernel versions, each with their respective dependent packages. Wow…

Originally published and updated .